Driving under the influence: this is something that resonates throughout news articles, social media, and casual conversation. It is something that we’ve always been warned against. However, despite the buzz about DUI’s, it can happen to anyone, and is surprisingly more common than you may have thought. Here are 5 shocking facts about DUI’s:
- Two in Three people will be involved in a DUI accident in their lifetime This means that over half of the entire population will be either the victim of, or the driver during a DUI incident. This is an incredibly shocking percentage that involves a large majority of people on either side of the spectrum. Along with this statistic, someone is injured in a drunk driving crash every 2 minutes.
- One-third of all drivers that were arrested or convicted of a DUI are repeat offenders Over 30% of drunk drivers continue to drink and get behind the wheel after they have already been convicted of at least one DUI. This is a serious problem, as repeat offenders continue to go through the court system, receive their punishment, and still get on the road when intoxicated.
- The average cost of a DUI is $10,000 In Colorado, this cost of a first time DUI can range from $7,000 to $10,000, which includes fines, penalties, license reissuing fees, alcohol and driving safety education, auto insurance increases, and more. DUI’s can quickly become a costly burden, one that could significantly impact the financial securities of many individuals.
- Male 21-25 year olds are the most likely to drive drunk Statistically, this particular demographic is the most likely to get behind the wheel while intoxicated. Even though they have surpassed the drinking age, they still have a chance of driving drunk.
- 28 people die every day in America due to drunk driving accidents One person is killed every 51 minutes due to drunk driving across the world. This means that, at this very moment, someone just got into a life-threatening accident that could end their lives, no matter the driver or the victim.
Drunk driving is a serious matter that has multiple offenders every minute of the day. These surprising truths about DUI’s can give a little insight into the severity of this particular crime, and just how common it truly is.