Canada has many beautiful tourist attractions, but DUI offenders are not welcome. Try going to Canada with a DUI on your record, and you’ll be stopped at the border and sent back where you came from. Save yourself some embarrassment and humiliation and meet with a DUI attorney before you start packing. Your DUI attorney can brief you on the legalities regarding persons permitted into Canada, persons who can be excluded from entering and what to do if you’re prevented from entering Canada.

A DUI is a felony in Canada and carries a penalty of a 5-year prison term. DUIs are exclusionary offenses under the Immigration Act. Travelers from the U.S. with a DUI conviction on their record are treated as felons and are not allowed into Canada. Other offenses that are automatic exclusions are DWI, theft, reckless/careless driving, shoplifting, domestic violence, negligent driving and misdemeanor drug possession.

If you are denied entrance into Canada, you can apply for streamlined or deemed rehabilitation at a Canadian port of entry, you can apply for approved rehabilitation at a Canadian Consulate in the U.S., or you can apply for a Temporary Resident Permit. A person applying for deemed rehabilitation must have only one conviction, 10 years have passed since completing their sentence(s), the conviction is not considered a serious one in Canada and it involved no serious bodily injury, property damage or weapons.

For streamlined rehabilitation, you must have no more than two convictions. At least five years must lapse since you completed all sentences. You must provide documents such as your birth certificate or passport, court documents for each conviction, proof of completion of all sentences, recent police certificates from each state where the offenses occurred, and a recent FBI identification record. If your application or eligibility for deemed or streamlined rehabilitation is denied, you will have to apply for a Temporary Resident Permit.